The rueLife: etc!
2016 Holiday Party Guide
Everyone knows the best part of the holidays are the amazing outfits you get to plan for the soirees that need to be attended!
And spending time with family & friends.
But if there’s no party, there’s no outfit to plan! So this 2016 holiday season, we challenge you to throw the outright best get-together of the season—but don’t worry—we’re here to help!
We have the top three best holiday party ideas so your event will shine brighter than Rudy’s red nose.
- Dress code: Formal. White. Duh. Wear this White Chiffon Party Dress to win best dressed.
- Décor: Again. White. Duh. White linens, white napkins, white balloons, all with touches of silver.
- Food: Sugar cookies and eggnog are a must, but don’t limit your food choices to just white items. Consider cheeses and white wines to limit staining.
- Entertainment: Ask guests to bring a small present wrapped in white to play White Elephant. Need gift ideas? Shop our site!
How do you play White Elephant, you ask?
In a White Elephant gift exchange, each participant brings a wrapped, unmarked gift and places it in a designated area. Guests are given numbers as they arrive, or their names are randomly drawn, and the select gifts in that order- with a twist.
On the first turn, the person assigned with #1 picks out a gift and unwraps it so all can see what it is. On the second turn, the person assigned with #2 gets the choice of “stealing” #1’s unwrapped gift or choosing a wrapped gift from the pile. If #2 steals #1’s gift, #1 must choose and open another wrapped gift.
As subsequent players take their turns, they either select a new gift or take any already opened gift from any of the other players.
An Ugly Sweater Karaoke Christmas
- Dress code: Your worst/best ugly holiday sweater.
- Décor: Classic holiday décor, a tree, menorah, the whole shebang.
- Food: Mexican food, because why not? Margaritas are NOT optional.
- Entertainment: There are two separate ballots at this party. One: who has the best ugly sweater? Two: which song will the loser of the ugly sweater contest have to sing first?
- Set Fire to the Rain—- Adele
- Bohemian Rhapsody—- Queen
- Livin’ on a Prayer—- Bon Jovi
- Memory – from the renowned Broadway musical, Cats
- Don’t Stop Believin’—- Journey
12 Minutes of Christmas
- Dress code: Dress up like your favorite Christmas movie character.
- Décor: Decorate like a mall display around Santa Claus. Big. Bright. Obnoxious. SANTA! WE KNOW HIM! Have a red carpet & announce your guests as they arrive like it’s a movie premiere.
- Food: Finger foods & cheese plates. Class all the way.
- Entertainment: You and your guests will watch the first twelve minutes of twelve holiday movies. Or they can be on in the background because everyone has seen them 100 times anyway. Cheers!
Here’s some suggestions to get you started:
- Love Actually
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- A Christmas Story
- It’s A Wonderful Life
- The Santa Claus
- The Polar Express
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey version, far less superior)
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
- Miracle on 34th Street
- Die Hard