The rueLife: etc!
DIY Graphic Tees
Feel like your wardrobe needs a boost? We’ve got a quick DIY tee fix that will take your look from low to woah. This cool craft is best when done on our graphic tees, but it will also look awesome on basic tees, tanks, and sweatshirts. Pair your revamped tee with a wild pair of patterned leggings, combat boots, and a chunky scarf, and your new look will be runway ready in no time!
What You'll Need:
- Eyelet setter
- Wrap chokers or ribbon
- Graphic tee, basic tee, tank, or sweatshirt- check ours out here!
What to Do:
- Using the ruler and pencil, draw an upside down triangle from the collar of the shirt, making a vee, Gigi neckline.
- Cut out the vee using the scissors, but leaving the collar in the shirt.
- Next, either using the eyelet setter, eyelets, and hammer or scissors, create holes for threading the wrap choker or ribbon around the triangle.
- Then, thread the ribbon or wrap choker through the holes in a criss cross pattern.
- Tie off the ends at the top and cut off the excess, or let the excess hang out. Your choice!
- Last, but not least, style and show us how it turned out by tagging #rue21 on Instagram!
Winter Workouts for When you Can’t Even (Leave the House)
We have fitness guru Suzie B. back this week to get us hyped about sticking to those New Year’s resolutions! Working out is obviously important, but sometimes it’s a pain to leave the house, especially when the air hurts your face.
Suzie is going to run us through some of her favorite workout moves that can be done anywhere from the living room to the gym.
Hey everyone! These moves can be done anywhere, but this time, I picked the beach, because I just HAD to get away from the cold! We all know getting to the gym in the winter can be a total struggle, so all you have to do is find an open spot at home and get your workout on.
Start with these:
Stand with your legs apart around a 90 degree angle and jump upwards.
Get in a standard squat position. Engage your core and jump.
Lower your body in a squat position. Kick your feet back so you are in a push up position. Lower yourself and perform a Pushup. Kick your feet back to the first position. Explode upwards.
Do ten reps of each exercise in a row. Repeat this three to four times!
You’re going to get thirsty, so come prepared and make sure you stay hydrated during your workouts! Suzie uses our Copper Geo Sparkle Tumbler to stay hydrated. Need something more inspiring? Then fill up our Sweat Now Shine Later Metal Bottle!
8 Things You Need from the rue21 Semi-Annual Sale
The most wonderful time of the year is over, but for us here at rue21, it’s just beginning with the Semi-Annual Sale! We have the most utilitarian of undies, the daintiest lingerie, the plushest PJs, and the most basic of bras. The base of your wardrobe is the most important so you look and feel good underneath it all, so why not #TreatYoSelf?
From what you’ll wear in your day to day to the special occasion items, we have hundreds of styles that you’ll fall completely in love with.
- Pink Sherpa Hooded Robe: So cozy, every day will feel like your day off.
- To the Moon Boyleg Undie: Astronomically cute, and the deals are out of this world. (They’re 50% off!)
- Still Killin’ It Bra & Undie Set: Did you ever stop? Slay, slay, slay.
- Pink Strappy Convertible Push-Up Bra: Ooh la, la! Adorable AND super strappy for three ways to wear.
- Plus Boy Bye Gray Seamless Boyshort Undie: Perfect for laying during those cold winter nights.
- Plus Nude Lace Deep Plunge Push-Up Bra: Feeling flirty? Be true. Be YOU.
- Plus Black Space Dye Fleece Sleep Pant: Your look was never so on point for a girl’s night in with these PJ’s.
- Burgundy Lace Caged Knit Bralette: It’s our trendiest little layer, and it’s your must-have.
Up Your Cocoa Game
Baby, it’s COLD outside, and you know what that means: curling up with a yummy mug of…dried powdered cocoa packets?
Please. Just stop right there.
It’s 2016, and the artisanal hipster foodie thing is here to stay. Let us help you turn up your cocoa game with recipes that could crush your Swiss Miss packets in a snowball fight.
It’s about getting creative. It’s about real chocolate bars melted into rich deliciousness. It’s about whipped cream infused with cinnamon and nutmeg. It’s about people being like “You can’t put an entire box of Oreos in your hot chocolate” and you being like, “Guess what I just did.”
So check out some of our fave finds from the magical land of the internet, or get inspired to create your own!
Melted Hot Chocolate with Sea Salt Whipped Cream
This is the kind of hot cocoa to make if you have your own cooking show, or if you’re BFFs with the Barefoot Contessa. It gets extra points for fanciness because you make your own whipped cream and the whipped cream has sea salt in it, which is the fanciest of salts.
Find this fancy hot cocoa recipe here.
2-Ingredient Nutella Hot Chocolate
It’s basically hot chocolate made of Nutella. Does this need more explanation? Get some Nutella. Make the hot chocolate. Happiness ensues.
Find this instant-bliss hot cocoa recipe here.
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Adding mint elements to chocolate elements is a no-brainer. It’s like drinking the North Pole out of a magical candy cane mug. Fun fact: drinking peppermint hot cocoa helps Santa’s reindeer fly 40% more efficiently, and with 25% greater altitude range.
Find Santa’s-Workshop-in-a-cup hot cocoa recipe here.
Resberry White Hot Chocolate
You thought hot chocolate always had to be…chocolate? Sometimes it’s pink, pretty and refreshingly fruity. Try this twist on the classic winter sweet treat with white chocolate, real raspberries and cream. Hmm, feels like the kind of thing you should drink while reclining on a fluffy white faux sheepskin rug, preferably in front of a crackling fire. Yeah, that sounds right.
Find this decadently deviant hot cocoa recipe here.
Aztec Hot Chocolate
You knew it was coming. The hottest (and we mean HOTTEST) craze in hot cocoa drinking is adding a kick of spice to the sweet, and we love it. Just a little cayenne (or a lot of cayenne if you like to live life on the edge) draws out a new level of warmth and flavor to otherwise boring ol’ hot chocolate. Hey, some like it hot.
Find this sweet-n-spicy hot cocoa recipe here.
‘Tis the Season to Get Baking
If you’re anything like us, it’s not truly the holidays until that smell of cookies is permeating your house. Grab some cookies, hot cocoa, PJs and your fave holiday movie and you’ve got an afternoon worth staying in for.
Here are three of our favorite recipes we’re baking this December:
When you’re feeling nostalgic: Gingerbread Cookies
These adorb little guys are the cutest treat to make you feel like a little kid again. Plus they’re just tasty. Every time we sip on a gingerbread latte we can’t help but think of these.
Check out the recipe from Life Made Simple.
When you’re feeling like your baking skills are Snapchat-worthy: Peppermint Pattie Cookies
Martha Stewart who? December’s got us feeling all things peppermint, and not only are these peppermint cookies pretty easy to make, they look like you spent all day in the kitchen baking up a storm. Your friends will be so jealous.
Check out the recipe from How Sweet Eats.
When you’re feeling like you want to learn Portuguese for your bae: Sugar Cookie Bars
You’ll love, actually this next recipe. But only after watching Love Actually for the 20th time when you’re snowed in. Our favorite part about these cookies are the cream cheese and sprinkles. That’s all you really need in life, right?
Check out the recipe from Averie Cooks.
Tell us – which cookies are you making this holiday season?
Gift Guide for Him
The most wonderful time of the year? Try the most stressful time! Picking out the perfect gift for your loved ones is tough, but gifts for boys is the OG holiday issue. Just remember: all he wants for Christmas is you!
But a little something extra wouldn’t hurt.
Behold the official rue21 Holiday Gift Guide for Him! Use it wisely to upgrade his wardrobe & accessory game.
(P.S.-- We all know that these gifts are as much for you as they are for him.)
The inner nerd is real in any guy. Help him freshen his tech vibe & keep him charged up so you can text him all night long.
Cold Weather Cutie
It’s crisp & sunny & COLD! Keep his core temp up with chill outerwear and cozy beanies so you can keep each other warm on those subzero days.
Tighty whiteys aren’t cute anymore (were they ever…?) Cool boxers & socks will upgrade the look, and a tight fragrance will give him newfound confidence.
He doesn’t have to wear that hideous jersey he’s had forever to the next game. Bonus! Something for you is in here too.
I like ur beard. Your guy is a little hipster & loves the outdoors. Fashion is #1 & you support that!
If this list (somehow) doesn’t help you find the right thing to put under your guy’s tree, check out the comprehensive rue21 Gift Guide for even more awesome holiday gift ideas!
Godspeed & happy holidays!
2016 Holiday Party Guide
Everyone knows the best part of the holidays are the amazing outfits you get to plan for the soirees that need to be attended!
And spending time with family & friends.
But if there’s no party, there’s no outfit to plan! So this 2016 holiday season, we challenge you to throw the outright best get-together of the season—but don’t worry—we’re here to help!
We have the top three best holiday party ideas so your event will shine brighter than Rudy’s red nose.
- Dress code: Formal. White. Duh. Wear this White Chiffon Party Dress to win best dressed.
- Décor: Again. White. Duh. White linens, white napkins, white balloons, all with touches of silver.
- Food: Sugar cookies and eggnog are a must, but don’t limit your food choices to just white items. Consider cheeses and white wines to limit staining.
- Entertainment: Ask guests to bring a small present wrapped in white to play White Elephant. Need gift ideas? Shop our site!
How do you play White Elephant, you ask?
In a White Elephant gift exchange, each participant brings a wrapped, unmarked gift and places it in a designated area. Guests are given numbers as they arrive, or their names are randomly drawn, and the select gifts in that order- with a twist.
On the first turn, the person assigned with #1 picks out a gift and unwraps it so all can see what it is. On the second turn, the person assigned with #2 gets the choice of “stealing” #1’s unwrapped gift or choosing a wrapped gift from the pile. If #2 steals #1’s gift, #1 must choose and open another wrapped gift.
As subsequent players take their turns, they either select a new gift or take any already opened gift from any of the other players.
An Ugly Sweater Karaoke Christmas
- Dress code: Your worst/best ugly holiday sweater.
- Décor: Classic holiday décor, a tree, menorah, the whole shebang.
- Food: Mexican food, because why not? Margaritas are NOT optional.
- Entertainment: There are two separate ballots at this party. One: who has the best ugly sweater? Two: which song will the loser of the ugly sweater contest have to sing first?
- Set Fire to the Rain—- Adele
- Bohemian Rhapsody—- Queen
- Livin’ on a Prayer—- Bon Jovi
- Memory – from the renowned Broadway musical, Cats
- Don’t Stop Believin’—- Journey
12 Minutes of Christmas
- Dress code: Dress up like your favorite Christmas movie character.
- Décor: Decorate like a mall display around Santa Claus. Big. Bright. Obnoxious. SANTA! WE KNOW HIM! Have a red carpet & announce your guests as they arrive like it’s a movie premiere.
- Food: Finger foods & cheese plates. Class all the way.
- Entertainment: You and your guests will watch the first twelve minutes of twelve holiday movies. Or they can be on in the background because everyone has seen them 100 times anyway. Cheers!
Here’s some suggestions to get you started:
- Love Actually
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- A Christmas Story
- It’s A Wonderful Life
- The Santa Claus
- The Polar Express
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey version, far less superior)
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
- Miracle on 34th Street
- Die Hard